Data Privacy Day is an annual celebration of privacy and data protection. It was first celebrated on January 28, 2007. In 2009, January 28 was recognized as National Data Privacy Day in the US.
Data privacy day aims to bring awareness of online data privacy. Both organizations and individuals benefit from maximizing their online privacy and protecting their data. Some key steps to enhancing your data privacy include:
- Using a privacy-focused browser and browsing privacy mode.
- Using encrypted messaging apps, especially when dealing with sensitive corporate information.
- Opt-out of data collection by using universal preference signals (e.g., Global Privacy Control).
- Using two-factor authentication wherever possible.
- Limiting the amount of personal information you share on social media.
- Knowing your privacy rights and how to exercise them in your country.
- Keeping your software up to date to ensure you have the latest security updates.
- Not opening email attachments or clicking on links in suspicious or unknown emails.
Businesses should take those 8 steps even further to enhance their data security. The following 4 steps can help any organization better protect their data:
- Implementing access controls to ensure only those who need access to data have it.
- Utilizing endpoint security solutions such as firewalls, anti-virus, and anti-spyware to protect your data.
- Using data encryption.
- Developing a risk-based cyber security strategy.
While we may celebrate Data Privacy Day one day a year, good data privacy practices should always be used. Quick Intelligence is a leader in providing its clients with cyber security and data protection services. We help our clients protect their data and ensure that it is secure from unauthorized access, theft, and other forms of malicious activity. Our services include cyber security, data encryption, and other measures to ensure that your data is safe and secure. Learn how we can help you protect your data better by contacting us.